*Job Title: Maintenance/Custodian-Part Time 25 hours per week/M-F 5am to 10am/$14.00 per hour
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Library Director, the custodian supports the overall mission of the Library by ensuring the Library building is in operating order and the needs of Library customers and personnel are met.
* Empty outside book and media boxes daily.
* Regularly monitor and maintain the library building structure, systems, and grounds.
* Perform custodial and janitorial tasks throughout the building and on the library grounds.
* Perform meeting room set up and take down, and cleaning of the furniture and rooms.
* Perform snow removal, grounds cleaning, and deliveries in all weather conditions, as needed.
* Complete custodial and maintenance projects as assigned.
* Provide assistance with inspections and emergency procedures as needed.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies.
* Ability to execute good judgment, while following procedures, in support of Library policies.
* Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction.
* Ability to work in various conditions.* Ability to maintain a safe environment for public and staff.
* Flexibility to adjust work schedules as needed.
* Adherence to safety procedures and ability to respond to building emergencies as needed.
* Valid driver’s license and safe driving record. Must pass background check.
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
* Minimum of 1 year of custodial work experience preferred.
* Basic knowledge of building tools and systems preferred.*
* Able to see, stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, and hear regularly to successfully perform all duties.
* Able to reach, push, lift, and carry heavy containers (up to 75 pounds) during a work shift.
* Able to move furniture, change light bulbs, utilize manual tools, power tools, and custodial equipment, climb ladders and stairs, carry trash, and shovel snow in various weather conditions.
* Able to tolerate exposure to nontoxic fumes, airborne particles, outdoor allergens, and cleaning chemicals.
* Able to tolerate exposure to differing temperatures internally and externally.
* Able to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
*Assistant Bookmobile Driver/Clerk-Requires CDL Class C with Air Brake Certification
Full Time: 32-40 hours a week-variable but include every Friday and Monday 9-5, some Saturdays as needed, fill in for primary driver as needed.
Pay: $17 per hour with health/dental insurance, paid vacation/sick time
We are looking for a very special person for our assistant bookmobile driver position. You will drive the Friday and Monday runs in Belvidere, assist our primary driver with Saturday run, and fill in for the primary driver for vacations and special events. Besides driving, you will check books in and out to patrons, provide reader’s advisory services, and help people of all ages find library materials, and work inside the library when the bookmobile is idle.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (to include, but not limited to)
- Drive the bookmobile to and from stops.
- Perform daily maintenance checks of the bookmobile.
- Utilize customer service skills while greeting and assisting library users of all ages.
- Other duties as assigned.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good driving skills with knowledge of Belvidere and Boone County roads.
- Extensive customer service skills.
- Ability to learn new technology and software.
- Must have current Illinois Class C CDL license w/air brake endorsement; offer of employment cannot be made without it.
- Ability to pass an MVR license check by our insurer. This is a requirement to employment.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged bus riding and jostling, frequent exposure to cold and hot environments, able to tolerate loud engine noise.
- Extensive hours of computer use.
- Lifting light to moderately heavy lifting (up to 20 lbs.)
Open until filled.
Forward application form and resume to:
Mindy Long, Executive Director
Ida Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.